Richard is Head of Sport Science at Royal Russell School, Surrey. He created and runs the successful Sport Science Work Placement Scheme that operates at the school and includes students from the Universities of Bath, Bournemouth, Loughborough, Portsmouth, Roehampton, St. Mary’s Twickenham and Surrey.
Richard has appeared in and written for The Telegraph, The Times, The Guardian, The Mail and various magazines, such as Men’s Fitness, Women’s Fitness, Outdoor Fitness as wel as appearing on The Victoria Derbyshire Show and Sky TV as a Sport Science Expert. He is he resident Sport Scientist for www.humanrace.co.uk, Europe’s largest outdoor fitness event organiser.
Richard has tested Olympic athletes, international Triathletes, Cyclists, Runners and professional sportsmen and women from cricket, golf, football and rugby as well as designing yearly training plans for various clubs around the country.
Richard’s published research has guided NHS clinicians in preventing and rehabilitating bone injury, as well as reducing local Primary Care Trust spend by educating patients in self-monitoring and exercise prescription. His area of research was in bone structure and mechanics and how low cost, low-risk interventions can improve bone quality thereby reducing the incidence and severity of fractures. He completed his clinical training at The Hatter Cardiovascular Institute at University College London and he holds weekly 1-2-1 Phase IV Cardiac Rehabilitation Clinics at University College School, Hampstead.
Richard’s current area of research is focused on Golf particularly the relationship between club head speed and the neuromuscular capability of the multifidus muscle group as well as writing the syllabus for Aerobic and Anaerobic Biochemistry & Conditioning which will form the guiding documentation for S & C learning in the UK.
Now that Richard has hung up his rugby boots he is a keen cyclist and competes in Sportives around Europe. He is also an RFU Rugby Coach and an ECB Cricket Coach but is now concentrating on football and preparing the Royal Russell 1st Team for their season.
- Royal Society Medicine - Senior Associate Member.
- British Association of Sport & Exercise Sciences - Professional Member.
- United Kingdom Strength & Conditioning Association - Graduate Member.
- MSc. Sport & Exercise Physiology.
- BSc. Sport Science.
- BSc. Sport Science
- MSc. Sport & Exercise Physiology
- BACR - Phase IV Cardiac Rehabilitation
- FAA - Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation & Automated External Defibrillation
- FAA - Emergency First Aid at Work Level 2
- NASM - CPT - National Academy Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer
- MatWork Pilates Teacher Level 1
- RFU Level 2 Rugby Coach
- RFU ELRA Level 2 Referee
- ECB Level 2 Cricket Coach
- BASES - British Association of Sport & Exercise Sciences
- UKSCA - UK Strength & Conditioning Assoc.
- NSCA - National Strength & Conditioing Assoc.
- ASCA - Australian Strength & Conditioning Assoc.
- ECBCA - ECB Coaches Assoc.